Barnabas Foundation was founded with, and continues to be guided by, three foundational principles.
- Kingdom Focused: As followers of Jesus and part of the family of God, we know that everything we do must be based on our desire to love Him and further His Kingdom.
- Stewardship Minded: We recognize that everything we have belongs to God and has been entrusted to us. We will engage every client as unto the Lord, helping them plan wisely, reduce their costs and deliver the maximum financial impact for the ministries they support.
- Member Oriented: We serve a network of distinctly Christian organizations, enabling them to offer their supporters a much higher level of planned giving expertise, service and experience than it would cost them to build independently. Through our work together, we illustrate how the body of Christ can work together as a family to strengthen and serve each other for God’s Kingdom.
These are the values we aspire to live out in our work.
- Prayerful: We are people of prayer. We bring our staff, clients and members to God in prayer. We approach each challenge with prayer for God’s wisdom and intervention first, and then apply our best knowledge, prudence and effort.
- Trustworthy: We tell the truth to our members, clients and each other. We walk what we talk and fulfill the promises we make. We hold the confidence of our clients and coworkers while maintaining loyalty and trust with our member organizations. If we fail, we admit our shortcomings and attempt to make it right.
- Respectful: We treat our clients and each other with grace and respect because they (and we) are created by God and deeply loved by Him. We recognize that how we speak to, speak about and treat each other reflects our love for God. This does not mean we ignore relational conflicts, differences of opinion or problems, but we address them with the respect we would expect from others. We give grace when others fail to live up to our expectations and respond with grace when others point out our mistakes.
- Service: We have the privilege of working with amazing ministries and the most generous, giving and caring people in the world, so we serve them with humility and gratitude. We are friendly, responsive, caring and prompt in our interactions with clients and do whatever we can to help them accomplish their charitable goals.
- Excellence: We approach our work as professionals and aspire to a high level of excellence. This means that we are continually looking for ways to improve our systems, strengthen our staff capabilities and develop new best practices in our work.
- Expertise: We take extra effort to make sure our staff members have the required knowledge to serve our clients well. Because our work is detail-oriented, we make sure our team is trained and equipped with proper tools to provide the expertise our clients need.
- Efficient: We work to find the best way to complete the tasks we have and responsibilities we carry. We do not waste time or resources. We recognize that, due to changing circumstances, different challenges and new resources, there are new and better ways to accomplish our work, so we practice the discipline of continuous improvement. We never treat efforts of the past as weak or wrong, but recognize that new insights are essential to operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Guiding Principles for Employment, Membership and Distributions
Barnabas Foundation’s employment, ministry membership and charitable distribution policies are guided by our Christian faith and biblical understanding, as outlined in the Foundation’s “Statement of Christian Faith.”
As followers of Christ, we recognize there are countless daily decisions that must be made, both individually and corporately, regarding how to best speak and act in a God-honoring way. We commit as a community to praying for the Holy Spirit’s leading, so that we will reflect His love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control in our thoughts, words and actions.
Furthermore, we recognize that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), and our brokenness is expressed in a number of ways that are contrary to God’s greatest design. In God’s arena, there is no distinction or hierarchy in the manifestations of sin, whether that be greed, selfishness, dishonesty, gossip, sexual misconduct or otherwise immoral behavior.
Because of public discussion and legal attention being given to a number of particular topics, we present the following statements to clarify our biblical understanding on these issues:
Statement on the Sanctity of Life
We believe that all human beings are image bearers of God, therefore we affirm the unique value of every human life. Barnabas Foundation condemns the wanton or arbitrary destruction of any human being at any stage of its development from the point of conception to the point of death.
Statement on Marriage
We believe God’s plan for human sexuality is to be expressed only within the context of marriage, which is an institution created by God between a man and a woman in accordance with their biological sex.